TMD patients present with a wide range of concerns and symptoms from tension headaches
and muscle challenges to significant joint inflammation and breakdown. Accurate, thorough diagnosis
is the first step and we will work through a systematic process of gathering a history, clinical exam,
appropriate radiography, and using new technology for joint diagnosis. The course will cover traditional
treatment options of appliance therapy and equilibration, but also look at utilizing pharmacology,
physical therapy, and other non-traditional modalities. Whether your goal is to treat all TMD patients
in your practice or selectively treat some types of cases while referring others, this course will address
what you need to be successful and productive.
This course is designed for the General dentist or Specialist that would like to deepen their knowledge
of treating Facial Pain and TMD patients. We have a very strong team that includes two board
certified Orofacial Pain specialists, an Oral Surgeon with Specific TMD training, two General dentists
that have limited their practice to treating Facial Pain, and a General dentist that uses this knowledge
in daily practice.
• Creating a link between anatomical structures & signs/symptoms that patients present with to the
• Develop a diagnostic process to understand the most complex patients and recommend treatment.
• Beyond appliance therapy we will explore therapeutic modalities that include medication, trigger
point injections, Botox, and more.
• Radiology: When does it add diagnostic value and how to interpret the findings.
• Surgical intervention: What are the current procedures we utilize and when are they indicated.
• How to build a network of specialist support.
Location: The Pankey Institute Key Biscayne, Florida
Faculty: Dr. Stephen Malone, Dr. John Droter, Dr. Glenn Kidder, Dr. Mary Charles Haigler, Dr. Herb Blumenthal, and Dr. Edward Zebovitz
- January 11, 2023 @ 8am – January 15, 2023 @ 1pm
The Pankey Institute is an ADA CERP Recognized Provider. ADA CERP is a service of the American Dental Association to assist dental professionals in identifying quality providers of continuing dental education. ADA CERP does not approve or endorse individual courses or instructors, nor does it imply acceptance of credit hours by boards of dentistry. The Pankey Institute designates this activity for 21 continuing education credits.