The Power of Development
Hygienists and Dentists: Are you ready for your hygiene appointments to be more effective both clinically and relationally? Can you imagine having a totally fresh perspective on what is possible as a dental hygienist? No matter the level of education or experience in dentistry, practicing as a hygienist with a Pankey-trained dentist requires a unique set of advanced skills in order to be truly effective. This course provides attendees with the most current thinking around Periodontitis and management along with proven methods on how to help patients engage in and choose the kind of dentistry that your doctor has been trained to deliver. This program can be a game-changer on many levels, including a direct increase in both hygiene and doctor hygiene production, especially when dentists and hygienists attend together!
At the completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Experience hygiene-restorative partnership: The doctor, hygienist and patient relationships
- Integrate new behaviors to optimize patient engagement leading toward increased patient acceptance of higher level and/or comprehensive care
- Reconstruct the flow of the hygiene appointment from a behavioral perspective (pre-clinical conversation, co-discovery, clinical closure, and hygiene hand-off)
- Develop an appreciation that periodontitis is a balance between a microbial insult and a host-based chronic inflammatory disease (covered on day 1 MW)
- Create clarity on periodontal techniques, terminology, diagnosis, and the current staging/grading system
- Incorporate techniques to remove biofilm and calculus in difficult to access areas (such as furcations and complex root anatomy) and how to enhance patient comfort with various instruments
- Learn about procedures that occur in the surgeon’s chair when a referral is made
- Refine techniques on providing appropriate local anesthesia including blocks and palatal injections
Location: The Pankey Institute, Key Biscayne, Florida
- February 29, 2024 @ 8:00 am to March 2, 2024 @ 1:00 pm
Lead Faculty: Dr. Melody Ward & Ms. Leigh Ann Faight
The Pankey Institute is an ADA CERP Recognized Provider. ADA CERP is a service of the American Dental Association to assist dental professionals in identifying quality providers of continuing dental education. ADA CERP does not approve or endorse individual courses or instructors, nor does it imply acceptance of credit hours by boards of dentistry. The Pankey Institute designates this activity for 23 continuing education credits.